Sahara All Star Band Jos – Sahara All Star Band Jos
* re-pressed on vinyl now!
* One of the ultimate masterpieces of the 1970s Nigerian afro rock and funk scene
* For fans of The Funkees, Ofege, Witch, Fela Kuti, Geraldo Pino, Mixed Grill, Akwassa, James Brown
* Filled to the last groove with catchy and captivating afro beat anthems
* An ever pulsating beat, haunting melodies, a hot blooded brass section with saxophone freak outs
* Excellent sound and performance by high class professional musicians
* First ever official release on CD
* Fully licensed
* Remastered audio
* CD housed in a rock solid jewel case
* Ultimate collectors item for fans of 1970s afro funk from Nigeria
- Album Description
Based in the Havana Nightclub, in the central plateau town of Jos, the Sahara All Stars of Jos weren’t part of the Lagos scene or the one in the east. Their leader, Dan Satch Ayo, had played with Dr Sir Warrior in the Orientals. He’d jammed with Mohammed Ahidjo and Sonny Akpan from The Funkees. Together with the All Stars he took the best of both scenes and created his own tight, hypnotic groove. First released in 1978, Sahara All Stars of Jos is a musical journey through all of those influences. ‘Freedom For Africa’ is a potent rallying cry sugarcoated with a sweet reggae vibe. ‘World People’ is an Afrobeat gem that condenses a night out at The Shrine into 10 min 43 secs. You can almost feel the steam coming out of New York manholes on ‘Take Your Soul.’ And the Highlife-tinged ‘Alikali Adajo’ brings it back, full-circle, to the Jos Hotel, just off the roundabout, where it all began. Engineered by Fela Kuti’s regular knob twiddler, Emmanuel A. Odunesu, Sahara All Stars of Jos is a tight, funky sonic gem and a timely reminder that, in 70’s, the groove was strong all over Nigeria.